Musandam on development path
Royal Directive issued to make Musandam an attractive tourism and investment destination
Within the context of His Majesty Sultan Haitham bin Tarik’s keenness to achieve comprehensive and sustainable development in Musandam, to bring about economic diversification based on the competitive potential of the governorate and to make it more attractive for investment, the Council of Ministers has issued decisions to expedite the process.
His Majesty the Sultan has issued directives to speed up the implementation of decisions of the Council of Ministers.
His Majesty the Sultan also gave directives to develop a system of management and operations for the economic zones, set frameworks for incentives, enhance competitiveness and propose proper mechanisms to promote them for investment.
The University of Technology and Applied Sciences stated that the establishment of a branch in Musandam is a project with economic, scientific and tourism dimensions.
‘It is part of the comprehensive urban development strategy for Musandam governorate and is in line with Oman Vision 2040.’
It added that the project will be implemented in two phases. The first phase will include programmes such as mechanical and civil engineering, building maintenance, logistics and transportation systems management.
The second phase will include courses in marine navigation, marine sports management and fish products processing technology.
COUNCIL OF MINISTER’S DECISION ON MUSANDAM -
- To set up a branch of University of Technology and Applied Sciences that offers courses in a number of specialisations.
- To establish an integrated system and a strategic reservoir to achieve security in food and medicinal drug stocks.
- To convert the Port of Khasab into a logistics hub in a bid to provide services and facilities that stimulate imports, exports and open direct export routes.
- To set up specialised economic and tourism zones to promote investment in tourism and related logistics activity.
- To declare the area of Mahas an economic zone with the objective of establishing and regulating light and medium industries, along with storage facilities to bolster Port of Khasab’s activities.