The tournament, which has attracted paddlers from 40 countries will be played at the Sultan Qaboos Sports Complex from March 20-24.
Speaking about the event at a press meet on Monday night, Abdullah Bamkhalef, the Oman Table Tennis Committee (OTTC) chairman, said, “We are proud to host the biggest ever table tennis tournament so far in the sultanate with the participation of players from 40 countries.
“Adding stature to the tournament is the visit of the ITTF supremo, Mr Thomas Weikert, who will visiting Oman for the first time.
Joining him will be Saud al Muhannadi, Asian and Arabian bodies chairman, Steve Dainton, the CEO of ITTF, and other dignitaries from the region.”
The five-day tournament offers a total cash prize-money of US$65,000 in seven disciplines – men's and women's singles and doubles, mixed doubles, U21 men's and women's singles.
Nearly 260 players and officials from across the world are expected to arrive in Oman for the tournament.
Haitham al Mandhari and Muhannad al Balushi will represent the hosts at the event.
The Challenge Plus is a six-leg series that began with the Portugal Open in Lisbon in February. Oman Open is the second stop. The other venues are Pyongyang, North Korea; Lagos, Nigeria; Asuncion, Paraguay; and Markham, Canada.
Also attending the press meet were Sajjad al Lawati, the competitions' director and Mohammed al Kalbani, the OTTC secretary.
Lawati said that as many as 17 referees from Oman will officiate in the event. He added that there would be live streaming of the matches on official ITTF channels and Oman TV will also telecast the matches.