AFC CUP GROUP C: Dhofar holds Al Wahda

Action from the AFC Cup Group C match between Dhofar and Al Wahda in Saida, Lebanon, on Tuesday

Oman's Dhofar Club opened its account in the 2018 AFC Cup campaign after it held Syria's Al Wahda to a goalless draw in a Group C match, played at the Sidon Municipal Stadium in the Lebanese city of Saida on Tuesday.

Dhofar had begun its campaign on a losing note at home when it lost 0-2 to Lebanon's Al Ansar at Salalah on February 13.

On Tuesday, Dhofar, coached by Husam al Saed, did create goal-scoring chances but failed to score and had to settle for a draw against its Syrian rival.

Jordan's Al Faisaly defeated Lebanon’s Al Ansar 3-1 in the second match of the group in the Lebanese city of Beirut on Tuesday to go top with four points. Al Ansar is at second spot with three points while Al Wahda is third with two points and Dhofar remains at bottom with just a point.

At Saida, Muayad Khouli wasted Al Wahda’s clearest chance of the opening half after he was set up by Shuaib al Ali’s cross from a free-kick but Khouli’s 27th minute header sailed inches wide off the upright.

Bassel Moustafa had scored both Al Wahda’s goals in its opening match 2-2 draw against Al Faisaly, and was again close to finding the back of the net after the half-time break but saw his 56th minute strike from the edge of the penalty area rescued by Dhofar goalkeeper Abdul Majeed.

Dhofar thought it had won the game in the dying minutes when Qasim Said broke free on the left flank and dribbled deep into Al Wahda’s penalty box before squaring for Vinicius Calamari.

The Brazilian had the goal at his mercy with the goalie in no man’s land, but Calamari fluffed his lines and blasted his shot onto the crossbar from six yards out as the final whistle blew.

Dhofar travels to Amman to play Al Faisaly on March 5, the same day Al Wahda hosts Al Ansar.

In Beirut, Senegalese striker Dominique Mendy fired the two-time AFC Cup winners in front inside seven minutes, heading in from Oday Zahran’s cross.

Skipper Ahmed Hayel doubled Al Faisaly’s lead before the break in the 39th minute.

El Hadji Malick Tall pulled one back for the home side three minutes after the restart, after outmuscling his marker and finishing on the half-volley.

However, Bani Atiyah restored Al Faisaly’s lead two minutes from time with a left-footed finish from inside the box.

muscat daily recycle