Sultanate’s tourism revenue reaches RO1.25bn in 2017

Muscat - 

As part of World Tourism Day, the National Centre for Statistics and Information (NCSI) prepared a bulletin covering information and statistical data on development of the tourism sector in the sultanate. 

World Tourism Day is celebrated on September 27 every year. According to the report, tourism revenue in Oman totalled RO1.25bn in 2017, of which RO342.3mn, or 27.4 per cent, was from inbound tourists, while the remaining RO909.1mn (72.6 per cent) was from domestic tourism. This included receipts from Oman Air and travel agencies regardless of the final destination.

According to the NCSI statistics, the number of visitors to the sultanate nearly doubled during the last five years from 2013 to 2017. The percentage of visitors per day rose by 1.6 per cent to 885,810 visitors in 2017 compared to 2016. The total inbound tourism expenditure reached RO342.3mn in 2017, a 6.1 per cent increase over RO322.5mn in 2016, with the average expenditure per visitor reaching RO105.1. This was a significant increase of 4.5 per cent compared to 2016 when the total expenditure per visitor totalled RO100.6. Accommodation services accounted for 34 per cent of inbound tourism expenditure, followed by air transport services at 27.5 per cent, food and beverages services at 15.1 per cent, and shopping at 11.4 per cent.

The total number of outbound tourism rose by 48.1 per cent between 2013 and 2017, totalling 6.4mn. Total outbound tourism expenditure was RO462.7mn in 2017, which was a 5.6 per cent decrease from RO490.3mn in 2016.

The bulletin contains indicators of the Omani tourism sector from 2013-17 as well as the application of Tourism Satellite Accounts (TSA), which represents a new statistic methodology for organising tourism statistics data. All the necessary statistical data were provided by ministries, government bodies and private institutions.

The ROP, the Ministry of Tourism and Oman Airports also contributed. The bulletin summarises all the data under five general indicators of tourism statistics for 2013-17: inbound tourism, outbound tourism, TSA, accommodation services, and visitors to the Salalah Tourism Festival. Total direct value added reached RO728.3mn in 2017, which was 1.9 per cent increase over RO714.9mn in 2016. The year 2015 witnessed a significant increase in direct value from RO689.5mn in 2014 to RO732.2mn in 2015.

muscat daily recycle